Friday, June 27, 2008

Prayer... its a wonderful thing.

So one night, recently, I was praying and I was praying specifically for a friend that I've prayed for over and over a dozen times at least. And a question popped into my head, as it often does. So my prayer got thrown off track, but thats okay, I don't have an agenda. The question was, "Why, if you know everything already, do I need to pray for things?" And its not that I don't want to pray, some amazing things have happened to me because I've talked them over with God. Its just that I was curious... and who better to ask than God.

Then, immediately idea's started popping into my head. First of all, God wants a relationship with us... and quite frankly sometimes all we ever talk to him about are things we want. Some of us, unfortunately, myself included sometimes I think, would never even think to talk to God if we didn't have something to "pray for." I think eventually that changes, and you stop praying to just pray for things, and start actually talking to God... but the praying for things sort of gets you started, it builds that relationship.
Secondly, its about knowing he's there. We know God is always at work, he's always got his hands on the world, making a different, changing the day. But if we never prayed for things, then how would we ever attribute the blessings in our lives to him. And not only that, but I think that prayer proves His existance. If you pray for something, and then it works out in the end... then you know it was for sure God. But if you don't pray for something, and it happens anyways, you might think it were chance (even though, that was God too.)

Then even more so, prayer teaches you to trust God. If you give your worries to him, he will take care of you.

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

It feels so good sometimes to have someone to talk to, someone you know cares about what you're saying, and wants you to let it out. Someone who listens unceasingly, who doesn't judge, someone who honestly wants to help you because they love you. This is a hard lesson to learn, its hard to get used to that kind of love and understanding, but I'm sure that once you can completely let go and talk to God like a bestfriend... more than a bestfriend even, then it will be an amazing and lifechanging experiance.

Lastly, you have a say in this world. He's given you the right as his child to give your input on the goings on in this world. Of course like any Father, he has to think about whats best for His children... but you have your say on things, and thats through prayer. He wants us to have good things, he wants us to be happy, so sometimes we have to just tell him what it is that we need. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about prosperity doctrine or anything like that, but God knows whats right... and if it isn't right, then he won't give it to you. He isn't a genie in a bottle.



Well there you go, thats what I think about prayer... thats what has been told to me, mostly through the Holy Spirit, but also a few tidbits thrown in after talking with some Godly council. Maybe prayer means something different to you, if so please let me know. I'd be very interested to hear.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea, thats what God really wants to do with us: he wants to BE with us.

I mean, why were we created? To have a personal relationship with him. Prayers a nice big step in the right direction :)

Proud of you Eve, your growing in God super fast.

- Brad